Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Well, I'll be! (a winner, that is!)


So a super fun thing happened Monday night.
I had entered a sportsy thing at work involving brackets and teams playing basketball and guess what, guess what, I came in second place!
http://giphy.com/stacerizz
pretty much.
When our office runs a contest such as March Madness, I’m almost always asked to help draw names.  I think it’s mostly because I know nothing about what seed a team might be, or which team has the best chance of “taking it all”.
We drew names at work, with two people on a conference call reading off the name, then me and my supervisor pulling a team out of a hat.  (Okay, fine, it was an envelope.  Work with me.)   My four teams were Dayton, Miami Florida, Oklahoma, and North Carolina. I took an unusual amount of ribbing because “you picked the names and you just RANDOMLY got those teams?”  If it wasn’t for my supervisor standing directly behind me the entire time, witnessing me pull names randomly, no one would ever believe it was a fair drawing.*
When I got home and told my husband who I had, he was REALLY excited for some reason.
An Excel chart was then created and slowly, as March progressed, more and more teams were out but I still had Oklahoma and North Carolina in the Final Four.  By then, even I understood they were really good teams.  I may not understand how they “seed” the teams but hey, I won some jellybeans, didn’t I?  Most of the time when I participate in these things I tend to donate far more than I win.
It was nice to be on the other side of that for once.
The final game was Monday night and although I abhor watching basketball, I did watch the game between Villanova and North Carolina.  Thanks to them I have no fingernails left because I gnawed them all off watching the game, which I have to admit was really exciting.  I mean, REALLY.  
http://giphy.com/gifs/3o7abKGM3Xa70I7jCU
I screamed a little too.
And even though my team lost (losing me fifty jellybeans, so thanks, Villanova) watching a college kid hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer is exciting, no matter who you are. 
Even if it’s a non sportser like me. 
*mostly because when it was all over, OUR TWO TEAMS played each other in the championship game.  He had Villanova.

No comments:

Post a Comment